Tired.



This is one beautiful university! Furman - a few minutes from my husband's family's house in SC. Got to spend a lovely afternoon here this past weekend!

Life mercifully slowed down for a sweet few weeks this August... But I'm afraid the reprieve was all too short-lived. On this cloudy, damp afternoon, I have a million errands to run and an evening alone with the bebe to prepare for. Jason's classes of his second semester at Queens start this evening.

I'm thinking... Candles. Red wine. A new novel.

Last night I surprised Jason with a chess set. We have been the owners of zero games up til now. That is going to change this winter! The nights of no homework and no classes and no articles-to-be-written we are going to be checkmate-ing each other til we conjure up an actual marital disagreement (the last time we played a game together was Scrabble and it ended with one of us giving the other the silent treatment for 2 hours. [it was NOT because he beat me! he kept sabotaging my triple-word fun that I was having on the side when I realized I was never going to win!)


[Oakes' gameface]









I'm tired.
I'm tired of so many of my special sources of enjoyment in life... I'm tired of long, sweaty, humid runs. It has taken crazy self-control to push myself out the door for the past month... And even then, I rarely experience those legendary, high of the runner second-winds, but am instead watching the clock every hot minute (literally, lol), dragging myself along my normal routes, tired. I'm tired of tank tops and sandals. I'm tired of folding laundry. I'm tired of the sound of my own thoughts on my blog. Blehh. I think the change of season will really do me good. Physically. Emotionally. Spiritually.

At least I never get tired of my round-shouldered, dimple-elbowed constant-companion.
Driver of the jogging stroller,
terror of the yellow lab,
happy shouter of the shopping cart,
re-organizer of the bookshelves, enthusiast of all things on wheels, apple of my eye.


His daddy never gets old, either. I am so eagerly looking forward to the football Sundays, Saturday hikes, and cozy weeknight chess games of this coming fall!

Labels: , , ,